Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Just Sayin' {Part 2}

Yesterday I told you that I am SOOO not impressed with the garage sales I have been seeing lately.


When a girl goes to roughly 15 garage sales on a Saturday morning and buys nothing...there is something wrong.


So I decided that I would give you all my best tips for having a successful garage sale.


I do not claim to be an expert, but I have had some pretty darn successful garage sales. So...you might want to try some of my tips the next time you are purging your life via a garage sale.


Now try to stick with me, these are GOOD tips!!


Tip #1 (And this is a BIG one)

Signage!!!

Take time to actually make signs that people can see and read. When I say "can see" I mean from like a block away. Nothing is worse than getting right up to a sign and by the time you read it you have missed the turn. Some people won't turn around. Your signage should have the following and only the following...
*Garage Sale
*Time (start-finish or if you choose just do a start time)
*Arrows

That's it! Nothing else!! If you list items on the sign people may think that is ALL you have and won't stop. Your signage should just bring them in!!

Tip #2

Avoid the Maze!!

Find the quickest route to your house and put signs on each corner. This is especially important if you live in a neighborhood. Nothing is worse than seeing a sign, getting excited to find the sale only to get lost in the neighborhood and give up.

People do give up!

Tip #3

Price EVERYTHING!! (And price it CLEARLY)

I personally hate sales that have no prices. There are people that will pay exactly what you ask and there are people that will offer you a little less, but often people do not like to just make an offer. Now I am only speaking for myself, but I am not good at just throwing out a number. I always feel like I am going to offend someone. If everything is priced you will avoid people walking away.

Additionally, if you happen to have a garage sale and price nothing and you do get a crowd...you run the risk of losing some sales based solely on the fact that you can't get to everyone.

Tip #4

Take the time to "Set-Up" (This one has a few components)

This is another big one. Your goal is to MAKE money, so spend a little time setting things up. Don't just throw it all out on your driveway and hope for the best. Use tables...lots of tables. Spread things out and use your entire driveway. Place larger items IE: furniture, at the very front so people can see them. Hang ALL clothes, people don't like to dig through boxes and it doesn't show that anything is actually worth buying.

This includes KIDS clothes. I have had quite a few garage sales since my kids were born and I have sold LOTS of their clothes. I hang everything! I make sure everything is in sellable condition (no stains or blemishes) and keep everything priced pretty much the same. Often when it comes to clothes people buy multiple, if everything is priced the the same it makes things a little easier.

As you sell down, move things around. Check to make sure prices haven't fallen off and mark things down.

Tip #5

Be in the Right Mindset!!

EVERYTHING that I put in a garage sale I am done with. When I start a garage sale I get in the mindset that I want to get rid of everything. I consider all offers that people make and almost always make the sale. Always ask yourself if you really want it leftover?

Decide prior to starting if there is anything that you are firm on and make sure to mark it, this helps to avoid awkward situations where you don't really want to take less.



THAT'S IT!!

My 5 Best Tips for a successful garage sale.

Just Sayin'...I mean I am no expert!

1 comment:

Terri said...

Could not have said it better myself...you did however, learn from the best!! ;-D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails